Thursday 21 March 2013

Evaluation Question Seven: Looking back at your Preliminary Task what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full Product?


In this video, I will be talking about the differences between my College Magazine which was created in September/October 2012 and the Music Magazine which was finished in February 2013. There are many differences between the two magazines. (In the video I stated that it was Evaluation Question Six, whereas it was Question Seven. Apologies).
As you can see the layout of the two is completely different from each other on the Front Cover, as come September I had never had such a full use of photoshop in my life, only messed around on it and seen what I can do. Whereas when creating the Music Magazine I knew what I was doing and I learnt new skills along the way and how to do certain things. The layout for the College Magazine is messy, everything seems kind of thrown around, and you can't see the Masthead as the colours from the image blend in with it, making it difficult to be able to read what it actually says whereas on the Music Magazine the Masthead has a white background to make it stand out so that you can see it clearly, because the name of the magazine is a pretty important part. The image for the college magazine is very blurry and right down in the corner, making it not the focal point of the magazine whereas it should be. When creating the College Magazine I had no concept of what sizes the fonts should be, so as you can see all of the fonts on the page are near enough the same size, again casting away the Masthead as not as important as the rest of the magazine.

When considering the Contents, there are many different things about the two, I think the contents for the College Magazine is even worse than the Cover. Although I did keep with the colour scheme of the orange, red and white, I think there is too much of an overload of colour to the right hand side, it makes it look unrealistic. Also I think that it is very hard to be able to read the sections on the College Magazine contents, as on the Music Magazine there is clear sections, subheadings which categorize the stories in the magazine in the appropriate slots so that you are able to quickly find what you wanted to read and go to it, whereas on the College Magazine there is just a block of writing. Also I really don't like the way it says 'Page' for the page numbers, as you can see on the Music Magazine I did not write page, but just indicated at the number, I also don't like the '3-5' with the hyphen, the readers don't have to know what page the article finishes on, just where it starts. Another massive difference between the two is that I made the College Contents on InDesign whereas I think that my skill really lies within Photoshop which is why I did not do the same for the Music Magazine, and instead did that in Photoshop. The pictures on the College Contents also have no real relevance, I think that the only thing people care about when reading a magazine is other people's lives, no architecture so I think that the pictures of the buildings and the grounds have no importance and instead there should be pictures of actual people at the college, maybe.

Overall I think that I have learnt a great deal of new skills and developed old ones since the creation of the College Magazine, at the time I thought that the College Magazine was great, but looking back I find it hard not to think it is awful, however I am very proud of what I have accomplished with my finished Music Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment